So today I decided to do some baking. Since getting my job I haven’t been baking much at all, which I miss as I used to love it. So I’ve decided this year that I will bake more, especially the red velvet cake I have been meaning to bake for years!
So today I decided it would be blueberry muffins as I knew we had a packet of blueberries that needed to be used. Perfect excuse, huh?
The recipe I got from one of my recipe books* was meant to be low-fat but the ingredients we had in the house and in our local shops didn’t have any low-fat, so I’ll give you guys the low-fat recipe anyway, and what I used in italics.
What you’ll need for this recipe:
225 g/8 oz plain flour
1 tsp bicarbonate soda
1/4 tsp salt
1 tsp allspice
115 g/4 oz caster sugar
3 large egg whites
3 tbsp low-fat margarine (I used normal margarine)
150 ml/5 fl oz thick low-fat natural yogurt or blueberry-flavoured yogurt (I used normal natural yogurt)
1 tsp vanilla extract
85 g/3 oz fresh blueberries (I used more than the stated amount as I didn’t feel there was enough)
What you need to do:
- Place 12 paper muffin cases in a muffin tin.
- Sift the flour, bicarbonate of soda, salt, and half the allspice into a large mixing bowl. Add 6 tablespoons of the sugar and mix together well.
- In a separate bowl, whisk the egg whites together. Add the margarine, yogurt and vanilla extract and mix together well, then stir in the blueberries until thoroughly mixed. Add the fruit mixture to the dry ingredients, then gently stir until just combined. Do not overstir the mixture – it is fine for it to be a little lumpy.
- Divide the mixture evenly between the paper cases (they should be about two-thirds full). Mix the remaining sugar with the remaining allspice, then sprinkle the mixture over the muffins.
- Bake in a preheated oven, 190°C/375°F/Gas Mark 5, for 25 minutes, or until risen and golden. Remove the muffins from the oven and serve warm, or place them on a wire rack to cool completely.
* Recipe taken from “Baking 100 Everyday Recipes” by Love Food.
I hope you guys try this recipe as the muffins tasted amazing and I know I’ll be making them again I future, possibly as a cake to mix it up a little.
Gook luck and have fun!