I was always taught from a young age that you aren’t an adult until you turn 21… I still ignorantly believe in this, although for some of the people I know under this age, I have an exception.
I’m now 5 years into adulthood and I have to say it is like Marmite. I either love it, or hate it… FYI I love Marmite!
But even though we’re not even two months (fully anyway) into the New Year adulthood has already REALLY tested me this year.
- Buying a house is HARD! You would think it was a piece of piss from years of watching your parent(s) buy a new home for you to live in, but behind the scenes it is tough.
- Equal to the first one, finding a house that isn’t a shit hole, or already sold is also hard. I think this point is affecting my boyfriend more than it is me. For someone with anxiety I’m not really stressed or anxious about house related matter. Why? Because I am just too busy and numb to it all to care right now. I know that sounds shit to say, but it’s true. I think it’s the sign of me getting older.
- Being a massive anime, manga, and Pokemon geek at 26 looks a bit sad. I can’t really say I give two fucks about looking like a saddo at 26, but I know some people who would probably feel shy and awkward talking about this stuff. I work with someone who is 5 years younger than me, and we have loads in common. I talk with her about all things geeky all the time and it’s actually nice! I didn’t have anyone to talk to about that stuff at 21, and I really wish I did. Especially someone older.
- Everyone seems to be of the age of getting engaged, married, or having children… And all I want to think about right now is which Pokemon game I’m going to buy next week! Do I pick Red, Blue, or Yellow? OMG ALL THESE DECISIONS! No, on a serious note I do feel under pressure. I’m not getting any younger, and considering a lot of people younger than me are doing one, two, or maybe all of the above I feel like I’m never going to do any of them…
- I’m 26 and I haven’t traveled the world yet… Or at least gone to America, or Japan, or New Zealand. Three of the places in the world I really want to visit. I’d prefer to buy a house than go plane hopping… There is plenty of time for that before of after I have children.
- I prefer nights in playing video games, and reading books than going out on the town. I have preferred this for nearly three years now. I used to be out every night of the week drinking, and having fun with my friends. Now I’m a boring fart who prefers to stay in, and you know what? I much prefer it!
- My wardrobe is full of gorgeous clothes, but I can’t wear any of them. I don’t have time! I’m always at work, and by the time I get home the pajamas are on and I’m snuggled into bed with my PS4 on.
- I say, “Over ten years ago when I was a kid I could get the bus for 50p!” and it’s true. 50 fucking pence people. Now it’s nearly your whole bank account!
- People look shocked when I tell them how old I am. “I thought you were 19, or 21!”
- When people say, “Aren’t you a little old for that now?” NEVER! I WILL NEVER BE TOO OLD FOR ANYTHING!
- You’re allowed to be scared of things that go bump in the night. It’s okay to watch a scary movie, or play a horror game and not get a good nights sleeps due to it… I’m speaking from recent experience. Fuck you Until Dawn.
- Going out clubbing isn’t as fun as it used to be. Because I love standing at the bar for 15 minutes waiting to be served, not being able to dance as sexy as you used to, and being gawped at by 18 year old students.
- I am going grey. I have been since I was 21, but I am going grey, and yes it sucks but I’m over it. People dye their hair grey these days so I’m just a part of the trend, but naturally, of course.
- A good cuddle can be better than having sex. Sex is great, hell yeah! But cuddles can be so much nicer, and you don’t have to worry you’re making too much noise. HA!
- You find out who your real friends are. You know, the ones who you can go without talking to for weeks, yet pick up the conversation like you only spoke yesterday. Also the ones who you can have filthy and hilarious conversations with at 1am, when you’re meant to be sleeping, and wake up 5 hours later for work, feeling like crap… But it was so worth it.
- Friends younger than you look to you for advice. Well sometimes, and when they do I’m always honest with them. I would hate to have advice sugar coated. GIMME THE TRUTH!
- Staying up until late is more of a chore than a cool thing. I go to bed around 9pm-11pm now. Crazy I know, but with my work pattern, and me being a tired bitch all the time it’s fine. I love waking up for work at 6.30am not feeling tired.
- Rarely treating yourself because of bills. Oh yes, bills. I won’t moan about them though because I want a phone, and a car. Oh and food, and a roof over my head. I’d prefer to pay bills for things I need than to a new MAC lipstick any day!
- Finding time to do things you actually need to do is tiring. I need to go to the doctors, but I don’t have time. I need to get my hair trimmed, but I don’t have time. I want to go food shopping, but I don’t have time! You make time to be fair. I’m just lazy at the moment. 😛
- Meeting up with friends doesn’t happen as often. I put this down to my friends living in different parts of the country, but even my one from S who lives up the road from me, I rarely see at the moment due to how busy I am with work, and life in general. It sucks.
- Seeing the 90’s trends come back around is total nostalgia. Whilst all these youngsters don’t even realise the trends aren’t half as cool now as they were back in the day.
- When someone said to your ten years ago, “You’ll miss school when you’re older.” how right they actually were! But only because of things like jobs, bills, getting old, etc. Fuck school!
- Life can get in the way. Even my blog is left quiet for days… I feel bad for doing it but I’m busy. What can I do? 😦
- You don’t need to be in your late teens or early twenties to have “date nights”. Me and Dane recently had one. We went to watch Deadpool, and then headed to Chiquito’s for Mexican food. It was amazing, and when we move out we’ll be making it a regular thing every Friday night.
- You’re never too old to do anything you want. This includes learning something new, like knitting, a language, or taking an evening class at a local college.
- Finally, the hours, days, months, and years really do fly by. I can’t believe in nearly ten days it’ll be the end of February. Can life just slow down a little? Please? 😛
I’ve wanted to do a list post on my blog for ages, and finally I have one! I want to do these more, and when I read list posts myself they can make me laugh my arse off, or agree with everything. Probably both to be fair.
What points can you relate to on the list? Make sure to let me know in the comments down below, and feel free to tell me anymore that I can relate to.
Until next time, take care all and I hope you’re having a great week so far.